Villa Mylius Vigoni is surrounded by extensive English-style parkland, created from the second half of the 19th century onwards by the architect Giuseppe Balzaretti. This landscaped natural environment possesses a rare beauty: age-old trees, viewpoints and exotic plants merge as one.
When strolling along the network of paths, one encounters marbles statues, fountains, inscriptions and small commemorative monuments.
At the very centre of the park is a small neoclassical temple, built to commemorate Giulio, Enrico Mylius’ only son: outside is a stone inscribed by Alessandro Manzoni, while inside we find the bas-reliefs of The Death of Giulio Mylius by Pompeo Marchesi and The Nemesis by Bertel Thorvaldsen.
The Stables, designed in an eclectic style by Giuseppe Balzaretti, are in the westernmost part of the park and are now used as a conference room.
The Swiss Chalet, constructed in 1830/40, is one of the most visually and architecturally interesting elements in the park: a brick and wood structure that strongly evokes Goethe’s Elective Affinities.
Built in the late 19th century at the entrance to Menaggio, the building still preserves the typical architecture of Alpine lake boathouses and its function as a mooring place for boats and a holiday home.
This cottage on the edge of the wood vaunts a spectacular view over the centre of the lake. From an architectural point of view it stands out for its elements typical of Lake Como – from its stone construction to its frescoed decorations, doors and windows and wrought ironwork.